With hills and mountains to climb, scenic riverside trails to follow, and lots of pooch-friendly pubs to call in, the Brecon Beacons is a dream destination for dogs and their owners.
You can spend days playing happily in acres of unspoilt countryside before retreating to the warmth of a cosy dog-friendly holiday cottage for an evening in front of the fire. Dogs can run around safely in an enclosed cottage garden before you set off together for a day of adventure exploring ancient castle ruins and seeking out wonderful waterfalls.
We have compiled ten of the best dog-friendly Brecon Beacons cottages for a perfect holiday in this beautiful Welsh National Park.
Hollyfield | Sleeps: 2 guests + 1 dog
Hollyfield is a dog-friendly romantic retreat that’s set within the gated grounds of a gorgeous country estate. Wonderful views of the Brecon Beacons National Park are showcased by large picture windows, and dogs can cuddle up by your feet in front of a double-sided wood burner that keeps the open-plan living space toasty and warm.
- Exposed beams and brickwork give Hollyfield lots of characterful country charm.
- Stroll along a charming country lane from the cottage to the bustling Brecon Beacons town of Crickhowell where you’ll find an assortment of dog-friendly pubs.
- Hire a dog-friendly Brecon Park Boat for a scenic jaunt along the nearby Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal.
Why we love it: Not only does Hollyfield have a fabulous location close to Table Mountain, it also boasts a wonderful enclosed patio with a BBQ so you can really make the most of the surroundings.
Cui Hen Beudy | Sleeps: 3 guests + 2 dogs
This beautiful barn conversion is located in the pretty village of Talybont-on-Usk, which is surrounded on all sides by the rivers, valleys and mountains that the Brecon Beacons National Park is famous for. French doors in the comfortable lounge open straight into the garden, and a handy utility room is perfect for sorting out any muddy paws.
- Enjoy a selection of walks from your door with dog-friendly pubs to call in on your return to Talybont-on-Usk.
- Try your hand at salmon and trout fishing, with a mile-long stretch of the River Usk available by prior booking.
- The sheltered outside space at Cui Hen Beudy includes an enclosed lawn, a patio that’s perfect for al fresco dining, and a raised herb bed.
Why we love it: All the accommodation at Cui Hen Beudy is on one level so it’s ideal for older guests or for anyone with mobility issues. There are ramps at the property and an accessible wet room that is suitable for wheelchair users.
Anoushka’s Cottage | Sleeps: 3 guests + 1 dog
This Talybont-on-Usk holiday home carefully blends rustic countryside charm and stylish contemporary design with bright and spacious rooms, wooden beams and a roaring wood burner. The pretty stone cottage is also located close to the River Caerfanell so you can enjoy scenic waterside walks with your four-legged friend by your side.
- A handy kitchen door leads straight into an enclosed garden so dogs can happily explore their surroundings while you whip up supper.
- Vintage touches and plump soft furnishings give Anoushka’s Cottage a real home-from-home feel.
- Doggies will love a visit to the nearby Talybont Reservoir where they can explore the surrounding forest and enjoy a walk around the edge of the water.
Why we love it: The gorgeous cottage garden at Anoushka’s Cottage has pathways, mature shrubs and grassed areas for pooches to explore, with a seating area and BBQ so you can make the most of being outdoors during balmy spring- and summer evenings.
Silver Birch Cottage | Sleeps: 4 guests + 2 dogs
Located in the lovely market town of Llandovery, Silver Birch Cottage is an elegant retreat that’s perfect for active families. There are lots of outdoor activities to try in the surrounding countryside, and an array of walks to tire out four-legged friends before heading home where they can snooze in front of the fire.
- Uncover some of the myths and legends of the area around Llandovery with a visit to Myddfai Hall where you can learn about the Lady in the Lake.
- A wonderful red kite feeding station a few miles from Llandovery is a great opportunity to see these majestic birds up close - please note that dogs must be kept on leads.
- The bedrooms at Silver Birch Cottage, named Cariad and Cwtch, feature exposed beams and sloped ceilings for a cosy country-cottage feel.
Why we love it: This handsome townhouse has a secure garden for dogs and makes a great base for exploring, with castle remains, riverside walks and an assortment of dog-friendly pubs on the doorstep.
Trewalkin Barn | Sleeps: 3 guests + 2 dogs
You can admire seemingly endless views of the Brecon Beacons Country Park from Trewalkin Barn, a dog-friendly cottage that’s filled with rustic country charm. White chunky walls and dark wooden beams give this holiday home lots of character, with a wood burner that’s perfect for cosy nights in.
- Trewalkin Barn works well either as a romantic couples' retreat or as a comfortable holiday home for a small family, as the property has both a double and a single bedroom.
- The magical Black Mountains location means you can enjoy wonderful views of the dramatic surrounding peaks.
- The pretty cottage garden features an enclosed section so that four-legged friends can safely stretch their legs and burn off some energy.
Why we love it: It’s hard to imagine a property having a more beautiful setting than Trewalkin Barn, and the pretty exterior of this ivy-clad stone cottage completes the idyllic picture.
Hafod-y-blodau | Sleeps: 4 guests + 1 dog
Enjoy a peaceful getaway to Hafod-y-blodau, a rural retreat with plenty of space for little ones and four-legged friends to run around in the great outdoors. Sliding doors lead straight from the lounge into the enclosed garden, which comes with a picnic table so that you can make the most of spectacular views.
- A selection of board games is provided at the property so you can hunker down in front of the wood burner for a fun-filled family games night.
- Order food in advance and arrive to a fully stocked fridge in the property’s sociable open-plan kitchen/diner.
- The property is surrounded by open countryside on all sides, with the historic market town of Builth Wells just 3 miles away.
Why we love it: Hafod-y-blodau is far from the madding crowd in rural Mid Wales, with seemingly endless amounts of dog walks from the front door and panoramic Welsh scenery on every side.
Sugar Loaf Farmhouse | Sleeps: 6 guests + 2 dogs
This 15th-century farmhouse near Abergavenny is full of rustic charm, with plump leather chairs, chunky exposed beams and large stone fireplaces. Relax together in the characterful wood-panelled parlour room - it’s the perfect place to play some classic family board games.
- The spacious enclosed garden at Sugar Loaf Farmhouse means children and dogs can play outside safely, with a backdrop of Sugar Loaf Mountain.
- A classic farmhouse kitchen complete with AGA is ideal for whipping up a family meal to enjoy at the property’s large dining table.
- Sample a selection of wines at the nearby Sugar Loaf Vineyard which is within easy walking distance from the cottage (1.5 miles).
Why we love it: This is a classic country farmhouse in the shadow of Sugar Loaf Mountain with a choice of reception rooms for families to relax and unwind in. Abergavenny, with a selection of dog-friendly pubs and restaurants, is just 2 miles away.
Old Orchard Bungalow | Sleeps: 6 guests + 2 dogs
With a picturesque location in the peaceful Usk Valley, you’re surrounded by rolling Welsh countryside at Old Orchard Bungalow. You’ll find no shortage of nearby waterways to explore, too, including the Brecon and Monmouthshire Canal and Llangorse Lake, where dogs can meet an assortment of four-legged friends during a scenic walking trail.
- The accommodation at Old Orchard is all on the same level, and with no steps to access the property, it’s ideal for anyone with reduced mobility.
- A handy utility room at the property is perfect for storing muddy boots and cleaning off muddy paws after a walk to nearby Talybont-on-Usk.
- A mature enclosed garden features patio furniture where you can dine alfresco surrounded by glorious verdant countryside.
Why we love it: Old Orchard Bungalow is a cosy and comfortable home-from-home with everything you need for your stay. Large gardens are perfect for families and four-legged friends during balmy summer months, and a wood burner will keep you cosy and warm inside when it’s cold.
Dderw Las | Sleeps 6 guests + 2 dogs
Enjoy a taste of rural farm life with views across to fields of grazing cattle and sheep on a getaway to Dderw Las. Glass doors lead straight from the light and bright sitting room to your private outside space, which includes a large lawned area and raised decking with a hot tub and patio furniture.
- Make the most of the dark skies of the Brecon Beacons by spending an evening under the stars in your own private hot tub.
- A spacious kitchen/diner is perfect for sociable family meals, with four-legged friends by your side - of course.
- A dog-friendly pub, the Shoemakers Arms, is just a mile away and you can call here for refreshments after exploring the surrounding countryside.
Why we love it: You’re surrounded by tranquil fields and pretty countryside at this charming country retreat - keep your eyes peeled for the occasional red kite flying past. A handy utility room that is accessed from the outside of the property is perfect for cleaning mucky pups after you have spent time exploring your surroundings.
Eco House | Sleeps: 8 guests + 4 dogs
This environmentally-friendly holiday home is part of an eco-friendly complex of properties in the Honddu Valley. There’s plenty of room for up to four-legged friends to join in the fun in the spacious open-plan lounge/kitchen/dining area, which is warmed by a feature Scandinavian-style wood burner.
- Floor-to-ceiling picture windows make the most of the property’s lovely setting on the edge of the Brecon Beacons, with views of a wooded hillside.
- A separate cosy snug room is ideal for any guests wanting to break away from the group and have their own space.
- Adults can relax on a raised decking area at the property while dogs and children let off steam by running around on the lawn below.
Why we love it: This property near Brecon is perfect for a getaway with family or friends, with a large dining table to gather around for evening games, comfy sofas where you can chat late into the night, and plenty of scenic spots nearby where you can stop for a picnic.
Plan your dog-friendly getaway to the Brecon Beacons
Hopefully, this has inspired you to whisk your favourite four-legged friends away for a Brecon Beacons holiday, and you’ll find lots of dog-friendly cottages dotted around this glorious National Park.
Browse our full collection of dog-friendly Brecon Beacons cottages in locations like Hay-on-Wye, Brecon and Crickhowell to find your perfect base - from romantic couples' retreats to large family farmhouses. For even more inspiration, read our guide to perfect places to stay in the Brecon Beacons.
Disclaimer: Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information at the time of writing,
please ensure you check carefully before making any decisions based on the contents within this article.